Christmas doesn’t come easy for many Calgary families who struggle to buy gifts or even groceries for a simple celebration. But you can help in many ways by sponsoring a family, purchasing presents or donating online or in person.
The nurses and social workers who forward names to us have intimate knowledge of their clients and take a personal interest in this project – often working on their own time to see that families in need have a reason to smile at Christmas.
- Nov. 5 - “Angel Tree” decorated
- Dec. 10 - All gifts and baking must be at the church by the morning. Gifts will be sorted in the afternoon.
- Dec. 11 & 12 - Volunteers wrap the extra gifts and box the baking and the gifts.
- Dec. 13 & 14 - Volunteers deliver hampers to families around Calgary.
Our project works with South Calgary Family Services and Southeast Health Clinics. Personal referrals from members of our congregation are also included in this project.
We are grateful to the members of this congregation for making the program such a success.
- A grocery store voucher (amount depends on the size of the family
- Two gifts for each family member
- A tray of home baked goodies
- Other gifts of new donated items that seem appropriate
How to help
- Make a monetary donation. This helps purchase the vouchers we provide for the recipient to buy food. Please make cheques out to the McDougall Christmas Hamper Fund.
- Choose a gift to buy from the Angel Tree. Each gift cost between $25 to $30.
- Adopt a family. Read on for more information.
- Volunteer to pack, wrap, deliver, and bake. Sign up sheets will be in the foyer.
Complete: Choose the size of family you would like to adopt - buy gifts, provide a grocery voucher, baking and delivery. Each gift would cost approx.$25 to $30 and a grocery voucher for $50 per person. The cost for the complete adoption of a family of four is about $450.00.
Partial Adoption: Gifts/grocery voucher/baking/delivery - Choose the size of family you would like to adopt. Buy and wrap two gifts: one of clothing and a personal gift for each family member, each gift would cost about $25 to $30. And/or buy a grocery voucher for $50 per person, provide baking and delivery.
Any part of the adoption you do not wish to do (gifts, grocery voucher, baking or delivery) please advise Hamper Coordinator Ken Turnbull so the committee can complete the hamper.
- Choose only one gift stated on the angel, circle the gift given and return your wrapped gift with the angel tied on.
- Place a bell on the unwrapped (gently used) gift.
- Baking of cookies and squares is greatly appreciated to include in the hampers. No loaves please.
- NOTE: All gifts and baking are to be brought to the church Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017.
Ask our coordinator
Ken Turnbull is here to answer all your questions. You can reach him by phone at 403-278-9970 or 403-816-5055 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.